Events at Sokol MN
2012 is the C.S.P.S. Sokol Hall’s 125th anniversary.
Toward that goal, Sokol Minnesota has engaged in fund raising for capital projects for its home that include autoCAD as-built schematic designs, pre-design and schematic design study, upgrade of the heating and plumbing systems, installation of air conditioning and a fire protection sprinkling system, asbestos removal, hall floor repair/refinishing, basement moisture remediation, and more! Do come celebrate with us, either with regularly scheduled or special events!
The C.S.P.S. Hall Legacy Building Fundraising Campaign is now on!
Click here for brochure and donation form.
Your community of neighbors,
the Sokol Minnesota 2013 Board of Directors
Front row, L-R: Joyce Tesarek, Board of Budget and Finance; Mary Cahill, Women’s Physical Director; Denis Novak, President; Judy Aubrecht, Member at Large; Norman Petrik, Membership Director and Sergeant-at-Arms. Back row, L-R: Don Haselbauer, Treasurer; Jean Draheim, Education Director; Chuck Draheim, Board of Trustees, Chair; Doreen McKenney, Second Vice President; Tom Aubrecht, Financial Secretary; Ed Hamernik, First Vice President. Missing: Arlene Hamernik, Corresponding Secretary; Gary Novak, Member at Large; Steve Shimer, Gambling Manager; Megan Cahill, Men’s Physical Director; Jyni Koschak, PublicityDirector.
Activities at our historic
C.S.P.S Hall include:
- Ethnic dinners featuring Czech and Slovak Menus
- Cultural celebrations including
Šibřinky (Czech costumed ball),
Czech-Slovak Festival (October),
Fall Harvest Dinner and Dance (November), Children's and Adult Christmas parties,and the
Festival of Nations (through the International Institute of Minnesota)
- Monthly meetings with programs
- Children's folk dancing groups and culture camp
- Young girls' gymnastics program and competitions
- Senior activities (singing, exercise and social groups)
including participation in national and international programs
- Sokol/CSPS census: a research project from the 1860's of the first immigrants to the West End and founders of its Czech Slovak community and commercial district.
- Partnerships with related cultural and historic organizations including the Czech and Slovak Cultural Center of Minnesota and the Czechoslovak Genealogical Society International (CGSI)
- Educational classes (language, cooking, genealogy)
- Film series and musical events
- Gift shop with imported items
About Sokol Minnesota
Czech and Slovak Sokol Minnesota is affiliated with American
Sokol, which grew out of an international movement founded in
1862 by Dr. Miroslav Tyrs. We are a social, cultural,
educational and gymnastic organization. Through our many social
activities and educational programs, our unit seeks to preserve
and transmit the vitality of our Czech, Slovak and immigrant
heritage to future generations while advancing our founding
principles of American health and fitness.
The historic Česko-Slovanský Podporující Spolek ( C.S.P.S.) Hall at 383 Michigan Street in Saint Paul has been our home since its construction in 1887, and the focal point for our activities in Saint Paul. It was declared a National and State Historic Site in 1977, placed on the National Register of Historic Sites, and is the longest serving Czech-Slovak cultural center in the United States, as well as oldest theater and national hall in Minnesota.
Czech & Slovak Sokol Minnesota welcomes all who share an interest in history, culture, gymnastics and good fellowship. You need not be Czech or Slovak to be a member.